- This event has passed.
Sustainability: The Role of the Manager course
March 8, 2016 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pmFree
This course is suitable for all academic, professional and support staff
with management and/or leadership roles across the University. This
course will be essential for managers who are involved in delivering the
University vision and strategic aims, and therefore need to know how to
implement elements of the University’s Sustainability Strategy as
relevant to their own roles.
If the course is FULL, then please register on our
waiting list by emailing your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-requisites/requirements/prior knowledge: None
Any pre-work requirements/links to online resources:
Delegates should read the Sustainability Strategy and Action Plan before
attending. During the session you will develop an individual action
plan so please also think about an aspect of your work you would
especially like to consider.
Overall aim of course: To assist leaders and managers in their
development of a good knowledge and understanding of sustainability, the
University Sustainability Strategy and implications for their own roles.
Intended outcomes + benefits from attending:
By the end of the session delegates will:
• Understand what sustainability is and be equipped with the skills
to identify sustainability issues in work and wider contexts.
• Know about the University wide Sustainability Strategy and
understand the implications of the strategy for their roles.
• Have developed an individual action plan relevant to their
• Know who to speak to about any ongoing issues they might have and
scheduled a review date.
Main topics covered will be:
• Sustainability: what do we mean and why all the fuss
• The Sustainability Strategy: implications for managers
• The Action Plan: implications for managers
• Aims and objectives: personal objective setting for sustainable
Learning and teaching methods: The session will be very ‘hands
on’ with only short, information giving, presentations including
examples of real world scenarios. Individual and group work will be
included in the session.
Claire Bastin joined the University in 2008 as a Teaching Fellow and PG
Researcher in the Sustainability Research Institute. She joined the
Sustainability Service as Sustainability Manager in October 2014, where
she manages projects under the Being a Positive Partner in Society
strategic theme. Prior to joining the University Claire had a wide
ranging career in training and development and project management,
including developing and rolling out IT, Corporate Social Responsibility
and sustainability programmes in public (e.g. Royal Mail, British
Waterways, CWDC), private (e.g. KPMG, City of London Telecom) and third
sector organisations (e.g. Big Life Company).
Related courses (optional):
All other People Management Workshops including:
• Managing Individual Performance
• Recruitment: Advertising a Role
• Recruitment: Candidate Selection
• Work, Wellbeing and Health: The Role of the Manager
• Health & Safety: The Role of the Manager
• SRDS: Reviewer Training
• Equality and Inclusion: The Role of the Manager