The Staff Sustainability Architect Role
The Staff Sustainability Architects network provides University of Leeds staff with opportunities and resources to promote and implement sustainable practices through their role.
Staff Sustainability Architects are pivotal in embedding sustainability throughout the organisation. By facilitating positive change within their departments, collaborating with architects from other teams and providing key engagement and communication links between their departments and the Sustainability Service, Sustainability Architects will be exemplars in the higher education sector. The role will be instrumental in the delivery of the Sustainability Strategy and therefore in promoting positive environmental, social and economic impacts and best practice.
The network of Sustainability Architects is made up of people who:
- Are committed to delivering the University Sustainability Strategy across their teams. As part of a collaborative network, Sustainability Architects are integral to embedding and improving sustainability within their departments.
- Commit at least 0.05% FTE of their time to sustainability initiatives in keeping with the Sustainability Strategy.
- Work proactively with others in their departments to embed sustainability into departmental activities and plans. Projects relate to improving core social, economic and environmental impacts of each department across the full range of the School/Service’s activities.
- Create real, positive change through innovative department-specific projects.
- Work together with the Sustainability Service and the network of Sustainability Architects (staff and student) to transform behaviour within schools and services across the University.
What Does This Involve?
- Developing a thorough understanding of the sustainability strategy and action plan. Attend training and development activities and staff architects networking activities to maintain this understanding;
- Promote and share their department’s sustainability initiatives and progress throughout the University;
- Work proactively with the Sustainability Service and other departments to support School and Service record keeping for sustainability-related KPIs;
- To work with and in some instances lead Green Impact teams, and motivate others to get involved;
- Work proactively with the Sustainability Service and other departments (i.e. HR, OD&PL) to embed sustainability into induction staff development and training.
Benefits of Becoming A Staff Sustainability Architect
- Become part of a supportive, collaborative network sharing ideas and best practice from across the University
- Improve your leadership and influencing skills
- Identify opportunities for improvement in your School or Service, and facilitate and deliver change
- Advance your understanding of sustainability in practice
- Expand your stakeholder engagement and communication skills
- Contribute to the Embedding Sustainability through Collaboration strategic theme
Who Can Apply
We are looking for at least one Architect per School or Service. All University of Leeds staff (teaching, support and professional) are welcome to apply with the agreement of their Head of School of Service.
How to Get Involved
For a copy of the role description please click on the following link: Staff Architects Role Description. Please fill in the Staff Sustainability Architect Sign Up Form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in applying.
Current Staff Sustainability Architects are invited to join the Staff Sustainability Architects Yammer group to share knowledge and best practice.
Sustainability in Practice is a training module for all University of Leeds staff. The course explores what sustainability is, why it is important and what part you, as an individual, can play in ensuring the University has a positive environmental, social and economic impact. We recommend that you complete this course as part of your induction.
Student Sustainability Architects
If you are a student and interested in becoming a Sustainability Architect please visit: sustainability.leeds.ac.uk/student-sustainability-architects. See the other staff opportunities available through the Sustainability Service at: sustainability.leeds.ac.uk/get-involved/staff-opportunities.