Do you want to help others to live, play, study and work in a more sustainable way? Do you want to meet and work with other students committed to making positive change? Do you want to gain key sustainability skills for your future career? If your answer is yes, join our team of Sustainability Volunteers today!
Sustainability Volunteers provide a key role with supporting sustainability projects and events, and make a valuable contribution to delivering positive, sustainable change for the future. Sustainability Volunteers can choose however many volunteering opportunities they wish to participate in, allowing you to tailor your involvement to your needs. Projects and events are organised at different times across the year and will be advertised to volunteers in advance. Key areas of work that you could be involved with will include the following.
- Sustainable Transport- work on projects encouraging staff and students to choose sustainable travel. This includes supporting the Bike Hub with bicycle hire and maintenance.
- Student Citizenship- work on projects that welcome new students to Hyde Park and provide them with information to become active and responsible citizens. This includes encouraging participation in local democracy and events, improving recycling rates and being good neighbours.
- Green Impact- support this sustainability accreditation scheme by working as a Green Impact Project Assistant (GIPA) or Auditor. GIPA’s are assigned to a specific team across the University and can also be involved with auditing their progress later in the year.
- Living Lab- work on innovative projects that seek solutions to real-world sustainability challenges, using the campus as a test-bed e.g. surveying trees on campus as part of the i-Tree Leeds: Campus Survey
- Biodiversity- support projects improving and mapping biodiversity on campus.
- Student Conference on Sustainable Futures- support the delivery of our the annual conference showcasing student research, projects and creativity from across the sustainability spectrum.
- Sustainability Educational Engagement- deliver fun and engaging activities to give local children an understanding of future sustainability challenges as well as helping to inspire young people to consider higher education in their futures.
See the latest edition of the Sustainability Volunteering Programme newsletter for more information about some of the amazing things that Sustainability Volunteers are involved with right now and the opportunities we have available to get involved with.
Skills and Experience
The majority of our opportunities require no specific experience or previous knowledge. Role based training will be provided for all volunteering opportunities. It is more important to be enthusiastic and willing to make a difference!
Benefits of Volunteering With Us
This is a fantastic learning and development opportunity, while at the same time making a big difference to sustainability at Leeds. If you want to make a difference and be part of an exciting programme, this is the role for you! Other benefits include:
- Meet and join a network of other students. This includes social opportunities to get to know the wider volunteering team.
- You will be fully supported by the Sustainability Service.
- Flexibility in the time you dedicate.
- Comprehensive training on the role will be provided. This includes specific opportunities training and an Induction to Sustainability at Leeds training session along with the other Sustainability Volunteers.
- Experience of delivering sustainability project and events.
- Experience of engaging and communicating with students, staff and different members of the public.
Make an application
Our next round of recruitment and induction training for new applicants will take place in February 2018. You can, however, register your interest in being involved involved with the programme at any time by completing our online form. We will be in touch with details about next steps and induction training.