Work towards the University’s Climate Plan started back in December 2018 when a series of staff and student workshops identified the following emergent themes:
- urgent action towards net zero (incorporating scope 1, 2 and scope 3 emissions where we have measurable data and can influence.
- divestment from fossil fuel investment/research.
- a concern for greenhouse gas emissions linked to food and a wish to reduce these.
- embedding climate change across the curriculum.
- action at the University and wider city to decarbonise transport.
- increased public/civic engagement to influence change beyond University.
- support for student activism and action to reduce climate impacts.
In July 2019, in recognition of the seriousness of the climate crisis, the University Council announced seven principles for climate action. To support this, we committed to developing the Climate Plan that would direct future action to achieve these seven principles.
To date we have:
- spoken to over 740 staff and students through workshops, stalls and a climate road-show to help shape our approach, with a particular focus on net-zero carbon emissions.
- held three academic working groups focused on research and innovation, embedding climate into the curriculum and governance and decision making. Summary reports contributed to the draft Climate Plan.
- completed a consultancy project on decarbonising heating on campus.
- completed a consultancy project to come up with a net-zero compliant pathway.
Due to COVID-19, we have had to pause:
- finalisation of draft Climate Plan.
- sign off of the Climate Plan by University Executive Group & Council.
- budget approval for the Climate Plan.
Our next steps are to:
- finalise the draft Climate Plan.
- use academic support to evaluate the business case for adopting net zero based on the Stern Review.
- sign off the Climate Plan through governance and outline budget.
- ensure Build Back Better accounts for net zero e.g. reduced travel emissions.
In the meantime, you can request to view our Carbon Management Plan by contacting us.
If you would like to receive updates on the Climate Plan and other sustainability news then sign up to our newsletter.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
We use the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to guide our activity. Our Climate Plan progress work is linked to the following SDGs:
- Goal 13: Climate action
Find out more about our impact on the SDGs.