The University of Leeds does not exist in a bubble. We are part of the local Leeds community, the wider UK and global society.
We take our responsibility to make a difference seriously. By actively becoming a positive partner in society we are taking our ethos of sustainability beyond the campus to the wider world; from our suppliers to the communities we work with across the Leeds City Region. We will also continue to make sure that our campus is a welcoming place to be – somewhere that the local community and visitors to Leeds can visit, get involved with and explore.
We will become a university where sustainability is truly embedded through knowledge, engagement, collaboration and innovation. Each and every one of our staff and students will understand the principles of sustainability – it will be an integral part of our operations and will bring about positive, sustainable change for the future. To do this we have made five clear commitments under the Positive Partner in Society strategic theme:
- We will work across University departments to build capacity and share best practice for sustainable change.
- We will equip all our staff with sustainability skills.
- We will develop external links to enhance knowledge and capacity.
- We will support and promote research that examines issues relating to sustainability.
- We will integrate sustainability into student learning programmes and ensure all our students understand the importance of sustainability.