The University of Leeds has over 200 water fountains located around its facilities, giving you access to fresh, free drinking water whenever you need it.
The University of Leeds is committed to providing free drinking water across all facilities. The tap water provided is safe to drink and provides a great opportunity for all students, staff and visitors to use a reusable water bottle. This reduces the need for single-use plastic water bottles.
You can find water fountains in any buildings on campus. If you’re unsure, the building’s reception area will be able to advise. See the information below for key locations of water fountains:
- There is an outdoor water fountain on the University Precinct (located outside the Refectory) this can be accessed 24/7
- All catering outlets on campus have signed up to Refill and they will fill up your reusable bottle for free
- Libraries contain multiple water fountains around the building, see the specific locations on the Library webpage.
- Sports facilities on and off campus offer several water fountains
- Offices contain multiple water fountains and have kitchen facilities located nearby
- Water fountains can be hired from Great Food at Leeds for large-scale events
In line with the University’s #2023PlasticFree pledge water fountains are plumbed in to existing water infrastructure where possible. This is to avoid the use of large plastic containers. Single-use plastic cups have also been removed to encourage users to use reusable glasses or bottles.
We are currently working on getting our campus map updated with all water fountain locations. Check back soon for more information.
Water fountains and coronavirus
Water fountains remain accessible during this period in buildings that have re-opened. Check the University’s coronavirus website for the latest information and details of which buildings are open.
When using the water fountains, please follow social distancing and other general guidelines that have been developed to ensure the University is operating in a COVID-secure way:
- When you’re coming to campus don’t forget your reusable water bottle so you can use one of the dispensers
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitiser before and after filling your bottle up
- Avoid touching the tap with your water bottle
- Don’t forget social distancing if you’re waiting to fill your bottle up
- Make sure you wash your bottle regularly
- Don’t share your bottle with others
Keep up to date on the latest news
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
We use the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to guide our activity. Our work on water fountains is linked to the following SDGs:
- Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- Goal 13: Climate Action
Find out more about our impact on the SDGs.