Get involved in Fairtrade Fortnight 2023
Hiya! I’m Emma, one of the Student Sustainability Architects, specifically working on sustainability within the University’s catering service, Great Food at Leeds.
Fairtrade Fortnight (February 27 to March 12 2023) is an annual opportunity for consumers, producers, suppliers, and businesses to take action, raise awareness and campaign to deliver a fairer deal for people too often exploited by our deeply unfair global trade system.
The message this year is simple: making the small switch to Fairtrade supports producers in protecting the future of some of our most-loved food and the planet. Read more about what Fairtrade is, how it connects with sustainability and how the University is involved.
So how can you take action this Fairtrade Fortnight? And how can you get involved with Fairtrade at the University?
Participate in our Fairtrade themed events!
- Book your place at the Big Fairtrade Get Together; Sustainability Society screening. Monday 27 February, 5:45pm to 7:15pm, School of Earth and Environment Seminar Room.
- LUU Old Bar Pub Quizzes featuring a special Fairtrade themed round.
- Thursday 2nd March, 8pm to 10pm.
- Thursday 9th March, 8pm to 10pm.
Share your thoughts!
- To voice your opinions and have your Fairtrade questions answered, use our online Fairtrade Discussion Board!
- Share your thoughts, experiences, and opinions on Fairtrade in our survey to be in with a chance of winning of a bundle of Fairtrade products!
Your opinions will help to inform future Fairtrade opportunities at the University and may contribute to research that will be shared at the Fair Trade International Symposium being held in Leeds in June.
Buy Fairtrade certified products!
The easiest way to support Fairtrade is to buy Fairtrade certified products! This Fairtrade Fortnight remember, whatever your budget and wherever you shop, when you choose Fairtrade, you support farmers to take care of the environment through Fairtrade’s Price, Premium and Programmes.
On campus, you can find an array of Fairtrade products, both at Great Food at Leeds outlets, and within LUU with the Co-op, LUU Green Action Co-operative, and cafes offering a variety of Fairtrade food products, and Gear offering Fairtrade clothing too!
Throughout the Fortnight, Great Food at Leeds will spotlight different Fairtrade products…
- Refectory chefs will cook a sticky toffee pudding with salted caramel bananas using Fairtrade sugar and bananas on Thursday 2 March and Thursday 9 March
- Collections of Fairtrade products will be available at the tills in the Refectory
- Fairtrade bananas will be available to buy throughout the fortnight
To find more Fairtrade products in Leeds, see Fairtrade Leeds for more information, or alternatively the Fairtrade Foundation provide a comprehensive guide too. The majority of major supermarkets will sell some Fairtrade items, just look out for the Fairtrade Logo! Wondering what to cook with Fairtrade products, find some inspiration here!
For more information about Fairtrade, explore the resources below:
Keep up to date on the latest news
- Follow us on Twitter: @UoL_Sus
- Follow us on Instagram: @uol_sus
- Follow us on Facebook: @UoLSustainability
- Sign up to our Sustainability newsletter
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
We use the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to guide our activity. Our work on Student Citizenship links to all of the SDGs.
Find out more about our impact on the SDGs.