If you want to get involved with sustainability at the University of Leeds, you should be a Student Sustainability Architect.
Our Student Sustainability Architects help to deliver sustainability projects and bring new ideas and a student perspective. As a Student Sustainability Architect, you will lead on delivering projects that align with the University’s strategic objectives and also develop your own ideas to increase student participation with sustainability.
Student Sustainability Architects are part-time paid positions and also provide support for student engagement activities, events, campaigns and initiatives. The Student Sustainability Architects programme was highly commended at the Green Gown Awards in 2018.
What projects will I work on?
The main duties of a Student Sustainability Architect include supporting a core project that aligns with the University’s Sustainability Strategy.
Past projects have ranged from increasing sustainability-themed dissertations and student representation in political activity to helping to spread recycling knowledge across Halls of Residence and developing a Sustainability Representatives network across faculties and schools.
You will be able to get involved in a whole range of activities including:
- The Student Citizenship Programme
- The University-wide behaviour change programme
- Embedding sustainability into the curriculum
- Promoting Sustainability Services at Open Days, in faculties and schools and other partner events throughout the year
- Supporting the marketing of the service and communication of the Sustainability Strategy – for example using social media to publicise events or writing for our blog
- Supporting student-facing activities
- Assisting with sustainability campaigns and projects
Benefits of being a Student Sustainability Architect
There are many benefits of being a Student Sustainability Architect – here are just a few. You will:
- Gain invaluable paid work experience
- Work with teams across the University to address common challenges and to create real change
- Develop skills applicable in the workplace including event planning, running workshops, communication and presentation skills, teamwork and using initiative to solve problems
- Help to deliver and embed the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Contribute to the University’s commitment to addressing global challenges
- Attend skills building and development sessions
- Expand your understanding of sustainability
Interested? We have recruited our 2020/21 Student Sustainability Architect cohort. Future roles will be advertised at jobs.leeds.ac.uk as and when they become available.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
We use the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to guide our activity. Our work with Student Sustainability Architects is linked to all of the SDGs.
Find out more about our impact on the SDGs.